(banner by crookedsmile)

Summary

SUMMARY: When Edward Cullen scores an entry level internship as a writer for his distant Uncle's TV Station immediately following College, his life takes some crazy turns as he makes new friends and finds love. AH, BxE Rated L for Lemons, Laughing and Language. WARNING: For Immature Audiences Only

*originally posted to fanfiction.net 04.16.2010*

(I do not own these characters this is simply a work of fanfiction)

Chapter 5. Day 4 ~ Rehearsals Make Perfect

Percy Bysshe Shelly was the wise person who once said, "Soul meets soul on
lover's lips." I think I'm in big trouble.

The Scheming Writer's POV


Re-writes are fucking exhausting, just so you know.
The one cool thing about doing them though, I mean, other than the hilarity
that was being created within the room all day, was that we
had infiniteamounts of beverages and eats the ENTIRE time we were in that
room.
It was like being a food god.
Subs, chips, smoothies, soda, coffee, chocolate, you name it, we had it.
We'd tell Carlilse's assistant what we wanted and it would magically appear
like, a half hour later.
I could totally live like that for the rest of my life.
And it completely made up for the whole not getting paid thing.
The other writers were pretty great, turns out, except for the two who seemed
to look so much like each other I could have sworn they were twins. They
really didn't appear to like much of ANYTHING.
Even though no one really came out and said anything out loud, it seemed to
me that we were all be on the same "Mike Newton is an idiot" page, so his
lines didn't really change much.
Bella's character did a little bit of morphing though, and the things she'd be
doing lined up perfectly for setting up Mike's hilarity that he'd hopefully be
adding to the show.
By the time I'd left, everyone but the cleaning crews were gone, so I just
headed straight for Emmett's, where another party was going on.
Who knows what this one was for.
The celebration of ants moving rubber trees, for all I knew.
I slid back out before I could be noticed, and headed back to the station for a
nice, quiet, restful night on Carlisle's receptionist's couch.
And that is was.
After I did a little bit of research, that is.
Until security busted me there the next morning.
What can I say? I over slept, it…
OVERSLEPT.
SHIT!
I fell onto the floor, doing this half crawl, half hopping thing, pulling my pants
back on as I ran my ass off down to the sound stage downstairs and was
pretty much the last person there, apologizing silently to Tanya and hoping to
god she didn't rip me a new asshole in front of Bella, who I noticed had no
make-up on, and her hair wasn't done like I had been used to seeing.
She was still quite stunning.
Her eyes popped and sparkled just like they always did as she said good
morning to everyone and she seemed to be avoiding eye contact with me,
probably so she could keep herself from laughing about the ridiculous shit I'd
pulled the day before.
I cringed thinking about it.
James was no where around, but he didn't need to be.
Not yet.
And hell if I wasn't really really…REALLY happy about that little detail.
I was nudged and almost fell over my own feet while staring at our leading
lady and a few people chuckled, but most didn't even notice and when I
looked to see who the culprit was, I caught Emmett's back, walking away and
he was shaking his head.
Right...looking like an idiot, Edward.
I got myself an extra large cup of coffee, added ten packs of sugar and ten of
those tiny ass sized creamers they give you, stirred it nice and good and
swigged the hot liquid, burning my throat in the process.
"Shit, shit, shit, shit!" I sputtered, trying to swallow it down just to wake up, but
it was clear I was gonna have blisters on the roof of my mouth for the rest of
the day.
Nice.
Once Tanya had me go over the changed lines, it didn't surprise me that Mike
was the first actor to pipe up.
"I'm not saying this line."
"You signed off on it YESTERDAY, Mike…you're reading it, stop being a
goddamn baby and get a grip."
Tanya didn't seem quite as bad today as she had in the beginning of the
week.
"I'm gonna look like an idiot!"
Like you need any help with that.
I decided it was time to put my knowledge from overnight to good use. I gotta
say, the computers in this place, not exactly hacker proof. I'd have to make
sure I warned Carlisle about that.
"Um…If you don't mind my saying something…" I interjected.
Not only did Mike look at me like I had just spoken Chinese, but everyone else
did, too.
Tanya held a hand up in annoyance. "I got this, Masen." She definitely struck
me as the, I'll be damned if a man is gonna do my job better than me, type.
But that wasn't what this was about.
"It's just that…I did my homework on you last night, Mr. Newton…and I
couldn't help but notice, your popularity has been down by fifteen point nine
percent over the course of the last quarter."
"Yeah, well what the fuck is that to you?" he spat back.
Tanya put her head in her hand and shook her head a little but I trudged on.
"Well, I think this role isn't just going to help you expand your horizons, I think
it's gonna be your come back…"
Tanya peeked up and I just so happened to notice Bella had finally looked at
me, too. With apparent interest to boot.
Score.
"Keep talking," Mike encouraged me.
I think I'm getting the hang of this political bullshit.
"People…women…love a guy that can make them laugh." I said, spreading
my hands as though it was a highly known fact.
I mean, it was, wasn't it?
I eyed Bella quickly, she was chewing on the inside of her cheek, but still
watching me. "They're gonna eat this up, you could very well find yourself on
People's one hundred most sexiest people alive cover this year if you play it
right."
I hadn't known Mike long at that point, but I could have sworn he lit up like a
Christmas tree, and was pretty sure that didn't happen often.
Tanya's hand was down by her side again and she had sat herself on the
table now, cocking her head slightly to the side, listening.
"Really?" Mike chirped.
"Oh yeah…and maybe even the sexiest man alive cover."
"huh…." He chewed on that for a little bit, while reading over the lines again
and Tanya waved for me to continue my explanation of the show's premise.
"So…" I cleared my throat, trying not to pay too much attention to the attention
I was getting from everyone. "Keeping the original premise of the show – Mike
is playing Max Steele, a rogue cop, he's got a rep for being a bit
unconventional…but the story has a twist now…"
Wait for it.
"He's got a tick…Narcolepsy."
Laughter filled the tiny room and that was when Mike piped up.
Again.
"I don't think THAT highly of myself."
I beg to differ.
"That's…Narcissism, Mike," Tanya told him.
Well, that too.
"Oh, well what's…narca...whatever."
"Narcolepsy," I said slowly. "You fall asleep, pass out, uncontrollably…"
He nodded. "Ah."
I kept going, after all, I was on a roll. "His problem has got to be kept quiet
because," I hesitated here, not really liking the way the words sounded that
were about to come off of my lips. "…She loves him."
Bella and I locked eyes for a moment, and I felt warm…in more places than
just my cheeks.
"…And if anyone found out he was passing out in the middle of cases," I
started.
"He'd be fired," Bella finished, realizing the plot line.
"Right!" I pointed at her enthusiastically.
"So," she asked, genuinely curious. "How does he get the cases solved?"
This was my favorite part.
"Well, Bella's role is changing a little..." I said to the room, trying not to have a
private conversation with the growing object of my affections. "She's no longer
going to be a damsel in distress on a weekly basis, she's going to be Murphy
Lawton, the assistant to Steele, she ends up solving his cases while he's out
and yet never gets the credit."
Her bottom lip got sucked up in between her teeth and I didn't know what was
coming next, you know, whether she'd hate it, or…what.
"It's a bigger role of course…I know it's not what you signed on for…"
"No…I…I like it," she said with a smile and then I couldn't hide my own
because the way she said it…was just…perfect. "So she's kinda like the
Sherlock Holmes of the female species."
"Yeah," I said excitedly, mostly to her. "He always wakes up wondering what
happened but assuming he'd solved the case and she lets him believe it."
"Brilliant," she laughed. "So he has no clue."
"Basically, yeah."
She got it…she totally and completely got me…it…I mean, it.
Once we got all the notes read through roughly a few times, we took a lunch
break…more food…and then did some actor to actor reads late in the
afternoon.
Emmett was standing in the side lines watching with Alice and Rose and the
three of them seemed to nod in unison at their approval of the lines that were
being read.
I quirked a smile, scratching the back of my neck, looking at them sideways,
trying to come across to Tanya like I was paying attention to the actors and
not my new friends as Mike read his line.
"Murphy, why do you suppose our perp is spending so much time with Miss
Green?" he asked, following his finger as it swept across the page. Then he
looked up out at nothing, pretending to be watching the two people who
weren't there, yet.
"Consanguineous," she answered…saying it with the utmost matter of
factness. It was like I didn't even NEED to give her any direction, she just
knew how the line needed to be said.
Her voice was like a song.
I needed to write her more lines.
Oh yeah, consanguineous, by the way…that means they're of the same
blood…related by birth, descended from the same parent or ancestor. I like
big words.
Mike said his line flatly…I could only hope this guy delivered better live and on
stage than when he practiced his shit.
"I know I'm a genius, Murphy, what I want to know is why those two are
spending so much time together."
"Steele,"
"Yeah Murph…" he says, watching the couple still, quite intently.
"Nevermind."
Mike fell down…well, lay down anyway, he's supposed to fall lifelessly…but
we could work on that later…
In the actual scene he'd be hitting his head on the lamp post…Bella, or rather,
Murphy, solves the case….he wakes up at the end assuming he'd done
something extraordinary and proceeds to brag about it to his fellow police
officers.
Kinda like Inspector Clouseau in those old movies where he only solved shit
out of pure luck...only in this case, Murphy was Steele's luck.
At the end of the read, Mike said his last line…the one where it's been a long
day, and she meets him outside of his precinct.
And then ROYALLY pissed me off.
"I gotta say Murph…if I hadn't met you, I don't know where my life would be
right now," he said and she smirked.
It was the most perfect, adorable smirk I'd ever seen in my entire life.
But then.
Without ANY warning, WHATSOEVER might I add...he pulled her into him,
and kissed her!
KISSED. HER!
I jumped up from where I was sitting and yelled… "That's not!...That wasn't in
the script!"
"Ow!" Bella screamed, pulling away from him, wiping her mouth with the back
of her hand.
Tanya was next. "Mike, what are you doing?" she sang more than asked him,
more annoyed than anything.
"Definitely NOT…in the script," I repeated, pointing at my papers.
"He BIT me!" Bella screamed again.
"I know, I was…AD LIBBING…?" he said in a very…DUH…kind of fashion…
"I thought it felt right, they ARE supposed to be a couple after all…"
I stopped short, almost running into James as he entered the room with
Carlisle.
Mike looked to them for support, and he got it.
Unfortunately.
"Right?"
"He's right…" James announced. "People may love a good comedy, but if the
chemistry isn't there, or believable, and there's no lust…they won't buy it, and
it'll fail."
Carlisle didn't speak, but I could tell by the look in his eyes, he agreed.
I tried not to show my complete disgust. I don't know what I was thinking
anyway, it IS a love slash crime comedy.
"Fine," I said to him, waving a hand into the air angrily, moving back to my
seat, then I mumbled, thinking it was more to myself. "But if you're gonna kiss
her, at least kiss her right for god's sake…show some…freaking passion or
something."
Mike laughed… "Okay hot shot…Why don't you show me how it's
done…expert."
James laughed loud and proud.
Dick.
"Oh, I'm pretty sure our wonderful writer has already managed to show us,
that's not exactly his…forte…haven't you, Masen?
I narrowed my eyes, readying to inform him I was perfectly capable of kissing,
but it was Bella who interrupted him. "Well then, let's give him a chance to
redeem himself."
Insert extremely raised eyebrow here.
Mike and James both answered her with what I myself was thinking when she
said it. "What?"
I turned to face her with a questioning look, but she was busy eying James.
"You're all about second chances, RIGHT James?"
She tilted her head to the side only slightly with that last part and I could see
him seething.
They seemed to have a silent argument about something that everyone
appeared to be privy to, but me.
His only response to her finally was to simply say, "By all means."
I swallowed.
And my dick hardened.
Which was very embarrassing…yet again.
"I…"
Have absolutely no idea what to say right now.
Bella's eyes were smoldering as she turned back to me. I honestly couldn't tell
if she was wanting this for any other reason than to piss her highly acclaimed
Producer boyfriend off but hell if I gave a shit.
My palms were sweating.
My palms hadn't sweated since I was in the sixth grade when Lauren Mallory
kissed me behind the swing set on our middle school playground because of a
bet she'd made with a couple of our class mates.
It was gross.
Or at least, that's what I remember thinking it was when I was eleven.
My mom had told me I'd feel much different about it once I got older.
She was right.
"Well, monkey…" James said, not even looking at any of us. He was busy
making a call on his cell phone, facing the opposite direction.
Moron.
Bella was just standing there, waiting.
People were starting to crowd around, waiting.
And there was Emmett, Rose and Alice, standing their ground on the outskirts
of the group.
Waiting.
I couldn't let her just sit there, alone, and look stupid.
But shit. There was no way I could kiss a woman of her…exquisiteness…and
not disappoint her, traumatically even.
I swallowed down the fear though, and began to go to her.
She never stopped looking into my eyes as I spoke.
It made me anxious.
"Okay, well…" I started. "The first thing you remember is that she's your life." I
felt as though she was looking into my very thoughts and hearing them as I
had them.
"You can't live without her."
Her chest heaved as she breathed a little heavier, and I thought I felt a shift in
her attitude.
Not quite so angry like when she was talking with James.
More like a calmness that seemed to take over her, the closer I got.
"If she was to leave your world, you'd literally die."
I was within a foot from her now and her mouth fell ever so slightly just before
she said, "And she wouldn't leave even if you wanted her to."
Wasn't expecting THAT.
I placed a hesitant hand on her waist and felt her shiver just a little.
"Are you cold?" I whispered.
"Not even close," she breathed back.
Holy…
My other hand gently slid around her neck as my thumb traced her bottom lip.
I couldn't take my eyes off of them as her tongue wet them while I leaned in.
Only this time, I wouldn't be falling.
Not in the physical sense anyway.
"You feel her heartbeat…it's like feeling your own," I said and quiet filled the
room as Bella responded.
"Because it's your's."
That did it for me.
My resolve had arrived and as I pulled her to meet my lips, something
happened.
I can't explain it except to say it was like being to acupuncture.
A million tiny pricks of pain and pleasure found their way to every inch of my
body and when Bella's mouth opened to give me permission, I slid my tongue
in to meet hers as though we'd been connected our whole lives.
It was scary and exciting at the same time, and I didn't want it to end.
Her hands moved.
Up my torso, cupping my face, then they moved around to the back of my
head and she gently fisted my hair.
I felt like we stayed that way for the expanse of an eternity and yet, not long
enough at all.
A few people cleared their throats and I finally, regrettably, ended the kiss.
My hands remained at their posts though, I just couldn't…break away.
Bella's eyes stayed closed, and her mouth was ajar still.
I couldn't help but smile.
I guess I was holding my own after all.
The only thing I heard was some muffled sounds as the world around me
melted but after who knows how long, I found the distinct guffaw of Emmett
reeling in my ears.
"NICELY DONE, DUDE!"
Clapping and hooting came in louder next, then I heard Carlisle's voice and
there was a distinct smile in it as he spoke.
"Now THAT's how you kiss a girl…Newton, I want you to practice your
technique."
What? NO!
I laughed nervously. "I don't think THAT's necessary, Car…Mr. Cullen."
This statement won me a look I don't think I ever want to see again coming
from him.
I backed away from the beauty queen cautiously.
That's when Bella woke up and jerked her head immediately to Carllisle, then
Mike, then me, looking a little bit embarrassed.
My eyebrows met, confused, wishing I'd known what it was she was thinking
she must have been disappointed that she hadn't gotten the attention she
wanted from James, because that's who she eyed next.
But he was still on his phone call, paying no attention at all, actually.
Idiot.
"You're um…really…that was…" I stammered, trying to tell her just how
incredible I thought she was.
"I know," she whispered and for a second, I thought she was pretty cocky for
someone who came across so unassuming, but then I realized, she wasn't
talking about herself.
Something in Bella's eyes spoke to me.
They were saying something she would never say herself.
She was lost.
"I…"
"Will do, boss!" Mike peeped, and then it was gone, the moment, that
is…again…
Carlisle spoke to me next, telling me, "I really like it, Masen…" He winked.
"this is going to rejuvenate the station, set higher standards for prime time TV,
the Nielson's are going to go through the ROOF for Christ's sake!"
"Um, thanks…Mr. Cullen."
He clapped me on the shoulder and smiled, then left the room, hollering,
"James! My office."
James said something into his phone and ended his call, then followed
Carlisle out, not even giving the slightest acknowledgment to Bella as he did
and her face fell just a little.
I wanted to go to her again, to tell her fuck that guy, and his high and mighty
bullshit.
But Mike was the one who made it to her first.
"Let's go over a few more of these lines before headin' out, Isabella, if that's
okay? I know you and James have plans later, but…"
"No, no," she said. "It's okay, I'm…" She swallowed back something.
Tears?
"He's going to be a while with Carlilse anyway…let's go."
They left, but not before she turned back to me one more time.
"Edward?"
Palms...sweaty...
"Yes, Bella?"
"I think kissing is definitely your forte," she told me, smiling sheepishly, then
turning to go again.
I watched her leave with an increased heart rate.
"Dude," Emmett said, putting a hand on my shoulder to watch her as well.
"Tell me about it," I answered his non statement question, whatever it was
gonna be.
"When do you get outta here?" he asked.
"Pretty soon, there's um…nothing else for me to do here, today."
"Rose and Alice wanna go out, you in?"
I watched Bella until I couldn't see her anymore as she joined Mike in one of
the dressing rooms down the hallway.
She'd kissed me…like someone who REALLY liked kissing me…AND she'd
said it was my forte.
Insert happy dance.
I smiled wide, and turned to Emmett.
"Hell yeah, I'm in."
"Sweet!" he boomed and I told him I'd meet him outside in ten.
As I packed my shit up, what there was of it anyway, from the receptionists
area…she'd very kindly shoved it all into a dark, recessed corner so no one
would steal anything…I thought about how much had actually been
accomplished since I'd been so rudely woken up that morning.
I'd convinced an arrogant shit head that this comedy would be the turning
point in his career.
I'd pitched, quite famously, a story no one had intended on writing originally.
I totally schooled that douche bag, James, on my kissing abilities, even
though he probably would never realize it. Or care. But I could give a shit, that
was besides the point.
And I locked lips with the most attractive woman on the planet, who was
slowly but surely, with every day that passed, stealing my heart and
purchasing my soul.
It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment