(banner by crookedsmile)

Summary

SUMMARY: When Edward Cullen scores an entry level internship as a writer for his distant Uncle's TV Station immediately following College, his life takes some crazy turns as he makes new friends and finds love. AH, BxE Rated L for Lemons, Laughing and Language. WARNING: For Immature Audiences Only

*originally posted to fanfiction.net 04.16.2010*

(I do not own these characters this is simply a work of fanfiction)

Chapter 10. Little White Lies

Cicero warned us in his day that, "No man in his senses will dance." – Yeah, I
musta lost mine.
 
The Cowboy Wannnabe's POV


"Talk about intimidating," I said to myself as the group of us picked our beers
up off of the bar and found a spot to hang out…but Bella of course heard me,
she seemed to hear everything I was thinking, saying, whispering, wishing…
Hmmmmmmm.
Can you hear me now, Bella…because I think I might possibly be falling in
love with you and that cute little scrunched up nose thing you do.
She smiled like she'd heard me, but said, "It's not that hard actually, once you
get the hang of it."
Guess not.
"You line dance?" Alice asked her, surprised…happily it seemed.
Bella laughed. "Yeah, my dad used to take me when I was younger, said it
was a sure way to cheer me up if I was ever down."
She kinda looked half sad when she said that and no one seemed to know
what to say…it was that weird awkward silence too, like when the doctor tells
you that you have a brain tumor and are only gonna live like, six more weeks
or something.
What do you say to that?
"Thanks, doc." Yeah….no.
I was racking my brain for a silence breaker when Bella piped up. "So," she
nodded to Rose. "How long have you been doing wardrobe?"
Nicely done.
Rose straightened her back a little, in a proud sort of way and I could tell she
was quite impressed that Bella asked her about something that didn't have
anything to do with herself.
"I started out as an intern actually, like our friend Edward, here." She smiled at
me and I was taken back a little. "That's right, Edward, for about a year, I too
thought my name was monkey."
We all laughed at that shit.
I was still sick of it though, and planned on killing off that cockamamie bullshit.
Yes, I said cockamamie.
"Really! How'd you…?"
"Remember Marilyn Vance?"
"Oh my god, yes! She did the costume design for Pretty Woman, right?" Bella
squealed.
It was fucking adorable and I took another drink of my beer as I watched her.
Rose nodded. "Well, I made an impression on her with some shit I did for her
one day when she was kinda dying of pneumonia or something and she sorta
took me under her wing…it was hard ass work, but, here I am…" she trailed
off, shrugging while she downed some of her Miller Lite and Bella nodded.
"It's kinda cool though, right? I mean, at least you can honestly say you got
where you are on your own merits."
"I always liked you, Isabella," Rose replied.
They clinked glasses and Alice joined in, saying, "Here's to THAT! No
nepotism in this crowd."
"Call me Bella, please," Bella was saying but I was busy digesting what they'd
just toasted to.
Errrrr.
I laughed nervously. "You say that like it's a bad thing."
"What?" Rose asked.
"The nepotism thing, you say it like it's…" My eyes got big and I make a
motion with my hands like I was a monster.
The looks I got from that remark, were very telling, and I was suddenly afraid
for my life.
It didn't last long though, Emmett was the one that joked about the whole
thing…sort of.
"Dude, people who get into this business because their someone's son,
or, daughter…"
Or nephew, I'm guessing.
"Are just…" he shook his head, disgusted clearly, trying to finish, but then
Rose added, "Spoiled rotten with bad attitudes and should be shipped off to
another country where no one knows them to see how they do THERE?"
More laughter.
"Heh…yeah…" I joined in and took a big long swig of my beer as to avoid eye
contact with any of them, thinking of how to change the subject.
And by the way, there goes any chance of me EVER confessing my Uncle's
deal with me to come work with him.
Maybe I could go by Edward Masen for the rest of my life.
They'd never know the difference.
Kinda like that whole, penn name thing.
Right?
Anyway, I didn't have to change the subject, thank god, because Alice did it
for me.
"You have great skin, by the way," she said to Bella, and then Bella blushed.
She clearly didn't really like being the center of attention…which I laughed at
to myself because, isn't that like an oxymoron of some sort, considering that
she's an actress, and no one could ever seem to take their eyes off of her?
Again, I was rewarded with several questioning eyeballs on me.
"What?"
"Thanks," Bella said, smiling, to Alice and then Rose finished her beer and
suggested, "Come on, let's get some more drinks."
Then before I knew it, the three girls were gone, getting swept up into the sea
of cowboy hats and big hair.
I must have been staring something fierce because Emmett nudged me and
Jasper said, "You're bein' just a tad obvious, mah friend."
Shit, did they know I was Carlisle's nephew just from my reaction to their
complete disgust toward nepotism?
"Look, I don't…"
"Yeah," Emmett laughed. "I mean if you stared any harder at Isabella, I think
your eyeballs might fall out."
Oh…
Whew!
"I have no idea what I'm doing."
In more ways than one.
They both laughed as my hand ripped through my hair. Little did they know.
"Been there," Emmett said.
"Done that," Jasper added and they nodded their bottles to each other and
drank.
They leaned their backs against the railing we were standing next to and I just
had to laugh. These guys were like how I imagined having brothers would
be…pains in the ass, but still fun to be around.
The girls came back with more beers in their hands and I kinda cursed myself
for not offering to go get Bella's drink for her but she looked really happy,
laughing and giggling with the girls so I blew it off, downing the whole thing in
one swig.
"Settle down, Edward," Emmett laughed and then a song came on and Jasper
put his beer down, took Alice's out of her hand, set it next to his and said,
"C'mon, Ali, let me twirl ya 'round the floor for a bit."
She blushed and smiled and went along quite willingly and as I watched the
two of them dance together, I could just tell they were the real deal.
Rose eyed Emmett and he put his hand out that she promptly took and he
pulled her out onto the floor as well.
Bella seemed in awe.
"I don't think anyone's ever looked at me like that before…" she peeked up at
me and then her eyes darted away again.
I had to grin, because, I really couldn't think of much else to do whenever
Bella looked at me like that and then she popped back out of her bubble and
asked, "do you wanna…" she poked a thumb out, pointing to the dance floor.
I held a hand up. "Oh, heh…nooo, I don't ummm…"
"Sure you do," she said. "Anyone can dance, come on." And with that, she
took my hand and pulled me along into the crowd of swiftly moving, twirling
and laughing their asses off crowd on the dance floor.
I was looking around awkwardly at all of the people that looked more like they
were flying than dancing and Bella positioned herself.
She turned to me so that she was backwards, and with my hands in her's, she
started doing this two step double skipping thingamahbob fuckery with her
feet and I tried my best to keep up.
"Woah!" I tripped a little, stepping on her foot and she bit her lip, making a
face as she squinted her eyes shut. She probably wanted to tell me to get my
big oaf self off of her fucking feet, but she didn't, she just…tried again.
"You just…hold me here." She put my hands on her. One on her hip, the other
in her hand, and then she told me, "Okay, now...step twice…like that…" I
followed painstakingly, trying to do what her feet where doing. "Right! Good!
Now you just kinda, follow the music."
I looked down for the most part, trying to get my legs to do what her legs
made look easy and when I finally felt like I was keeping up with how it went, I
looked up to meet Bella's gaze, smiling excitedly at me and I laughed.
Then tripped again.
Monumentally this time.
The tip of my shoe felt like it was stuck to the floor and my body flew forward,
on top of Bella, down onto the floor and I heard a loud "Unnnnf!" come out of
her, since I was like twice her size and weighed how knows how much more
than she did…and was quite likely suffocating her.
So soft.
But I couldn't bring myself to move as I lay on top of her and the crowd just
danced around us like we weren't even there.
She's soooo….soft.
I really wanted to push my lips to her's and just…consume her fully…or, be
consumed BY her…
Jesus, her tits are like…little cloudy puffs of heaven.
As I noticed the hub bub around us, I figured that type of shit must have
happened a lot with new to country dancing idiots because no one stopped or
anything and I just lay there, like an idiot, looking into Bella's heated eyes that
were staring back at me all lit up like a Christmas tree.
Get. Up. Idiot.
"Are you okay?" I finally managed to ask her and she laughed. "Yeah, I think
I'm gonna call you lefty."
Oh my god I wanna dry hump you right now.
It was all I could do to refrain from that crazy talk.
I was an idiot, alright, but that wasn't gonna stop me from making with the
funny.
"Uh…You didn't see that guy push me? He totally was jealous of my country
dancing skills, couldn't handle the competition I guess," I advised her jokingly,
getting myself up off of her before I caused some serious damage to her tiny
body.
Soft and comfortable as it was.
Taught nipples, warm, seductive, inviting…
Holy shit.
My dick was making its latest debut and Bella laughed as I helped her up.
At first I thought she'd noticed, but then she asked, "Pushed you, huh?"
Dry…hump…wall…where's a wall?
"Totally," I said and looked around. "There he is right there." I pointed to some
huge dude with a Stetson on his head and a toothpick sticking out of his
mouth, he was whirling a tiny thing around like she was nothing.
"Uh huh," she said, giggling. "Maybe we need to get you off of the dance floor
then, before he…pushes us down again."
She turned to go toward the bar and I followed her, grinning my ass off and
trying desperately to gain some control over the protruding limb in the front of
my pants.
We made our way through the crowd and I somehow successfully avoided
getting poked in the eye with any of the cowboy hats we passed.
At the bar, Bella stopped as she found her beer, and wiped some sweat off of
the back of her neck and I just want to lick there so bad.
Not helping.
Then she took said beer and put it up to her cheek to cool off and I could feel
the stiffness in my jeans, because let's face it, that was hot.
I wanted to take the beer from her hand and kiss her like that day at the
station…or like the other night at Jasper's…but something in the back of my
mind was telling me that wasn't right.
Wake up and smell the famous, Edward.
She was with James, for…whatever lame ass reason…and until she ended
things with him, I couldn't justify taking advantage of her like that.
It didn't stop me from fantasizing though.
When she swigged the beer in her hands down, flashes of her perfectly
shaped mouth sliding itself around my dick flew through my mind.
Do you WANT to poke her in the belly with your dick?
An eyebrow cocked itself and I think my mouth may have hung open just a
little bit.
When she lowered the bottle, her eyes were closed, and she licked her lips,
enjoying the cold alcoholic goodness as it slid down her throat and I almost
dropped mine.
The bottle that is.
I wasn't quite quick enough, as she opened her eyes and looked at me, ogling
her.
"You um…." She didn't seem to know what to say anymore than I did, so I just
put the bottle I had in my hand up to my mouth and drank, watching her the
whole time.
She seemed to become uncomfortable, so I had to think quickly. I don't know
why I said what I said, it was the first thing that came to mind and I completely
blame James, it was his goddamn fault for trying to piss me off earlier.
"So, you and James, getting' married huh?"
I'm seriously…such…an idiot.
"What?"
"You're getting married?" Rose asked as she snuck up on us, out of nowhere,
really.
And Emmett was right behind her. "Shit, seriously, Isabella?"
"Oh, call me Bella, please, I…" she turned back to me, confused. "Why would
you...?"
"Did someone say they're getting married? Rose?" Alice asked.
Where were they all COMING from?
"Congratulations!" Jasper yelled, ordering a round of shots from the bartender.
"Not me," Rose insisted, pointing to Bella.
"Wow! That's…" Alice looked at me, not really knowing what to say.
Join the club, Alice.
"I'm not…I mean…" Bella said again, looking to me once more. "What gave
you that idea?"
"Um…your fiancé," I told her and even when I said it like that, it did NOT
sound right.
"James?" she asked me, even more confused than before. And now I was
becoming elated because she was confirming my suspicions that the dick had
just said that shit to piss me off and on top of that, she didn't look disappointed
that they weren't either.
Yee. And Haw!
"Look, I probably just misunderstood," I said, trying to play it off, although, I
don't know why, the more of an ass that guy looked to Bella, the better my
chances were.
"So," Rose hesitated. "You're…not getting married…"
Bella held her hands up. "Definitely not."
She shook her head a little but didn't get much of a thought out before the
shots were laid out in front of us and Jasper handed the bartender a big bill of
some sort and picked his up.
"Well, then…here's to not being engaged to dumb shits!"
He held his shot glass up and the rest of us laughed, even Bella, and we
toasted in unison.
"TO DUMB SHITS!"
We drank and all slammed our glasses down onto the bar and Bella seemed
thoughtful about something, then checked her cell phone.
I went into distraction mode before she could start wondering where the
boyfriend was.
"Wanna...give me another lesson?" I asked her as a popular line dance song
started playing. I'd recognized it at least, it was played on the radio a lot…it
was the…foot stompin shiznit…no, the boot shuffling something or
other...something like that.
"Absolutely, I'm a firm believer in practice making perfect," she said, and the
rest of the gang hooted and ran out to get into line.
I still tripped and fumbled, making Bella giggle snort a few times and I almost
tipped over all together once or twice, but managed to stay on my feet as we
did the steps.
She was a patient woman, dealing with a guy that clearly had two left feet like
I did, but we drank and laughed a lot throughout the night, making me seem
more drunk than clumsy.
Okay, maybe I actually WAS more drunk than clumsy at that point, but you get
my drift.
Before we could leave the dance floor after one particularly hard ass song to
dance to, a slow one began and I asked her, "You wanna get a drink?"
She looked over to the bar but turned back to me and said, all dreamy eyed
looking, "No, I like this song."
She was smiling as she put her hands around my neck and hell if I knew what
to do with my hands, but they found a home on her hips and we began
swaying to the music.
"This is my kinda country song," I said and she laughed, placing her head
against my chest and I rested my chin on the top of her head as we moved
back and forth with each other.
Insert extremely happy moment here.
She breathed in really long and then let out a sigh as we danced to Billy Joel
singing "Shameless" and some sort of a flash of us doing that on a regular
basis blew through my mind, causing me to pull her tighter into me.
Not to mention I had to tip my hat to the bar, so to speak, for playing a music
legend like Mr. Joel.
It was also a highly appropriate song, I thought, as I listened to the lyrics.
Bella didn't seem to mind my holding onto her either and I just enjoyed the
closeness while the song played, closing my eyes and sneaking in some soft
kisses to the top of her head throughout the lyrics.
When it ended, she didn't move and I wasn't about to encourage her to.
People were leaving the dance floor and it seemed like it was just us out there
when she finally pulled away from my clutches. The look in her eyes was
telling. She felt it too, I could tell, I just…couldn't tell what it was she wanted
me to do about it.
Punch James? Leave the studio? Take her away from it all? Anything, I'd do
anything she wanted.
She just needed to tell me.
"I think I should be getting home now," she said quietly, and I nodded,
following her off of the dance floor, stuffing my hands into my pockets to keep
from pulling her back to tongue ravage her.
Emmett, Jasper, Rose and Alice were all seeming to be ready to leave too,
waiting at the bar and only Alice seemed to have noticed what had just
transpired without really transpiring out on the floor there, giving me a smile
that seemed almost, knowing.
It kinda wigged me out.
"Party at my place!" Emmett roared and then put one of his big drunken arms
around Bella. "Comin' little lady?"
"Oh, I don't know, I mean…how do you guys do this when we have to be at
the set so early?"
She seemed to be more impressed than anything and Emmett answered her,
saying "We're young and in love, Bells…and we only live once, so why not
make it all count for something?"
She smiled at the nick name he'd bestowed upon her and I got the impression
that she was just completely drinking up the friendships that were being
created that night.
The girls were the ones that talked her into coming and I'm not gonna lie, I
was tired as shit, but more time with Bella was not gonna be passed up by
your's truly.
Not that I could have gone to bed anyway, since my bed would be smack dab
in the middle of the…party.
We settled at the bar and headed back to Emmetts and I don't know how they
did it, but more people were there when we arrived and I wondered how they'd
managed to arrange that shit while we were all walking home because I was
pretty sure no one used their cell phones.
Rose and Alice monopolized Bella's time back at the apartment but I tended to
just enjoy watching her from afar, smiling and laughing, bending over in
hysterics even at times.
Her smile made me smile, and her laughter left a feeling in the pit of my
stomach that I wanted to experience repeatedly, for a long long time to come.
When it was almost four in the morning she found me and said all happily
buzzed, "I reeeeeaaaaaally need to get home, now."
I did a silent drunken chuckle and grabbed our coats. "Come on, I'll walk ya."
I told Em I'd be back soon and he winked and nudged me.
I rolled my eyes and left with Bella.
We walked in comfortable silence for a little bit when I finally said something.
Maybe it was the beer, maybe it was just my curiosity, who knows, but as
soon as I asked it, I was sorry I had.
"So, James..." I stuffed my hands in my pockets. "What a dick hole, huh?"
It sounded better in my head, trust me.
She looked away and her hand went to her face. I couldn't be sure but
somewhere in my mind I was pretty sure that was a classic let me look in the
opposite direction so I can wipe this tear away move.
I furrowed my drunken brow and said, "sorry, I didn't mean to disrespect…"
She turned back to me, smiling now, but also confirmed my suspicions
because her eyes were a little red, and also a little wet.
I stopped and put a hand up to her face, wiping it away. It was like my hand
was moving of it's own accord.
"Crying doesn't look good on you, Bella, I'm sorry, I…"
"It's okay, Edward, I just…" she sighed. "He wasn't always a dick hole…I
think…" She looked confused at that thought. "…and I really leaned on him for
a while there…then he started helping me out in some areas, and there was a
time I would have told him to go to hell instead of accepting his help like that,
but then I found myself taking his help willingly, and then there was Victoria,
and then he was sooo sorry, and I took him back, and I know I shouldn't have
taken him back, I don't even know why I took him back anymore, but now he's
all…" she made a face. "And I'm all…" she made another face. "And I
just…and you…and me… and I'm just…"
she looked at me…"I just don't know anything anymore."
I tried to keep up with the drunken babble fest, but I really only caught a few
key phrases to tell you the truth.
Some other woman's name…took him back…and the most important
one…you, and me.
She was looking up at me all expectantly and what not and as much as I just
wanted to hold her and kiss her and do…other things to her…in an oh so bad
kinda way, I couldn't help but hear James's words in my head.
"You have no idea how much you could hurt her career by pulling stunts like
what you did the other night."
I put my hands on her shoulders. "Bella," I started, but she talked right over
me.
"I know I must sound like a drunken mess."
I smiled at her. "Well, although you are, indeed, a drunken mess, you're by far
the sexiest drunken mess I've ever had the pleasure of walking home."
She did the cutest little drunken laugh through her nose you've ever seen and
I looked her in the eyes before I said the next part.
"It'll all work out, Bella…" I cocked an eyebrow, because I was already
concocting a scheme in my head for dear old James. "It always does."
"Everything okay, Miss Swan?" The big hug behemoth from earlier asked. He
was still standing at the door where he'd been before so I had to assume it
was his post…That's when I noticed we were in front of her building.
Bella smiled sweetly at him, they seemed friendly with each other.
"Everything's perfect, Felix, this is my…" she swallowed and hesitated, just a
moment, and I smiled at that. "…friend, Edward Kuhmasen."
She laughed and giggled snorted, making me blurt out my own laugh,
remembering our first real introduction, even though I didn't really like the
sound of the word friend coming off of her lips like that with regards to me.
Felix stuck his hand out and I took it.
"Nice to meet you, Edward, Miss Swan doesn't have enough friends, if you
ask me."
No doubt.
"Well I hope to be Miss Swan's, friend, for a very long time, so hopefully, that'll
change."
The sexual innuendos contrived along with the word friend was getting to me,
I gotta say.
Bella bit her lip and raised an eyebrow.
I was certain I'd seen her sneak a looksee at my nether regions…but I couldn't
be positive since my vision was just a tad blurry.
"Well," she said. "I guess I'll…see you…"
"In about an hour," I joked as she disappeared into her building. I mean it
WAS almost sun up, which meant work would be starting soon.
When she was on the elevator and the doors closed, and I could no longer
see her anymore, I said, "friend."
Felix cleared his throat and I snapped out of my daze.
"Night," I told him, waving as I left and he nodded.
I heard a weird noise coming from somewhere as I pulled my coat around me
and started back to Emmett's place.
I looked around and didn't see anything as bizarre as the noise sounded, but
then I heard it again.
It sounded like.
I looked around.
"Cameras."
A guy across the street from me tucked his oversized, clearly compensating
for something because the zoom lens was about as long as California camera
into his jacket and jumped into the car he was standing behind and tore off
down the street, running a red light in the process.
"Shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment