(banner by crookedsmile)

Summary

SUMMARY: When Edward Cullen scores an entry level internship as a writer for his distant Uncle's TV Station immediately following College, his life takes some crazy turns as he makes new friends and finds love. AH, BxE Rated L for Lemons, Laughing and Language. WARNING: For Immature Audiences Only

*originally posted to fanfiction.net 04.16.2010*

(I do not own these characters this is simply a work of fanfiction)

Chapter 24. Serendipity or Something Like it

Sometimes, ya just gotta sit back and let life happen. ~ That's an Edward
Kuhmasen original. Feel free to quote me.
 
Just Plain Old Edward's POV


"Any word?" Emmett asked me the morning of the show.
I was scribbling some nonsense down onto a piece of paper. Nothing
pertinent to the show, just…random thoughts, ideas, hopes.
I shook my head. "Nada…all I got was a text saying she's coming
home which…" I scratched at my face. "I can't imagine was Bella talking about
herself in the third person."
He chuckled and slapped me on the back. "Well, you've done what ya can,
Edward, ball's in her court…" he winked and added, "So to speak," then
waggled those Emmett eyebrows at me before heading off to do his thing.
Tanya and I had a pre-show pow-wow and things seemed to be ready.
Except for Bella.
She still wasn't home and I was a little worried that even though I hadn't
exactly done anything this time, that maybe she'd just had it with the drama.
I mean, it's not like she didn't get enough of that on a daily basis anyway.
"She's supposed to be here for the live performance Edward," she said as
though she read my thoughts and I snapped my eyes to her.
"Bella? She had me fax her lines to her, said not to worry and that she was
sorry she's been MIA."
I felt butterflies in my stomach and a little dizzy at the thought of her being
there later but I figured I'd just…start with, "I'm sorry."
It couldn't hurt.
Right?
On my lunch break, I visited the florist that I'd gotten the name and address of
a few days before when I purchased that single Spring Snowflake flower for
Bella and bought them out of Sun Flowers.
Then I made a little side trip to Bella's apartment and even though I got the
evil eye from Felix, he saw that I was only a bearer of good fragrance and let
me in.
He even helped me arrange the flowers around Bella's place.
Beginning with the hallway where she'd been stepping off of the elevator later
on.
I left her one last note, in addition to the ones I'd been sending her since she
left.
It simply said, "Much like these flowers bring to your apartment, you bring
sunshine to my life, I hope I get this back some day. PS. I missed you."
I left the note with one of the Sun Flowers and the key to her place on the
table in her hallway where I knew she'd drop her keys and then headed back
to the station.
Really hoping to god that I got that key back some day.
As I watched Mike's opening scene that night in front of the
live…fucking…audience, Bella still wasn't there and quite frankly, I was
FREAKING OUT! Because we didn't exactly have a back up or…whatever the
hell it's called.
Understudy...idiot.
But then…
She was there.
Like magic.
And she walked onto the stage like she lived there.
My heart jumped and I couldn't take my eyes off of her because of course,
Alice had put her in the most sexy…drives Edward crazy in every good kind of
way there is to man outfit. EVER.
In other words, my dick was hard.
Insert uncomfortable adjustment of said dick here.
I tried making eye contact with her a few times, but she didn't give me the
satisfaction, and when her scenes broke, she always made sure to exit
theopposite side of the stage than me.
I was feeling pretty defeated, and rather melancholy when James saddled up
next to me, changing my mood...completely.
Now, normally, this would make me cringe and I'd let him mouth off, knowing
he "had" me and that I didn't really have a come back.
But this time…it was my turn.
I smiled.
"Hey James," I said to him all persnickety and what not.
"Looks like you've lost, Edward, she'll be back in my bed in no time." He was
so cocky.
I smiled wider.
"James, mind if I ask you a question?"
"Sure thing, Cullen," he said. We weren't looking at each other. We were both
standing, arms crossed, watching the show unfold.
"If you're so hell bent on getting Bella back, what happens to Vic…" I started,
and then added, "Toria?"
The asshole actually had the nerve to lay a hand on my shoulder and if I
hadn't been so curious as to his motives, I would have punched him in the
nose for touching me like that.
"You really don't understand, do you Cullen?"
"No, I guess I don't, enlighten me, will ya?"
"I'll put it to you in simple terms then, my friend….ya see, Bella's good for
business, but Victoria's good for…other things."
I shivered.
Because let's face it.
UGH!
I swear to god, I liked Vic and all, but I'd be damned if I saw what she saw in
this guy.
"Well, I appreciate that advice, James," I said, pulling the tiny tape recorder
out of my pocket and stopping the recording process.
Then I lifted the manila envelope I'd put together with Vic's help up off of the
shelf next to me and handed it to him.
"What the fuck is this m…"
I turned then, and grabbed his wrist. "Call me monkey, James, and that'll be
the last thing you say tonight." I threw his hand down and away from me, then
told him, "Promise."
James eyed me cautiously as he opened the envelope and I turned back to
watch as Bella took the stage again.
She delivered her lines flawlessly and I don't know why I'd expected anything
less of her.
She was a true professional.
Even if she didn't want to have anything to do with me after the past few
weeks, I'd still be honored to work with her on this project.
I heard James choke next to me and was brought back to the task at hand.
Emmett was watching and his shoulders were bobbing.
I swallowed down the hysteria.
"Seems Victoria's been keeping shit from ya, huh, James?"
He didn't answer.
He didn't have to.
The guy was speechless and I was relishing in it.
Bella started her final lines to Mike that I'd re-written over and over throughout
the weekend until I'd gotten them just right and even though she was saying
them to Newton, I pretended she was saying them to me.
"Mike," she said. "I have to tell you something, it's about how I feel about
you..."
Then dipwad interrupted my fantasizing again.
"Where did you…?" James spat out, his face was white and I could only
imagine the things that were running through his head at that point.
"I had a nice little heart to heart with her a few nights ago…nice
girl…err…guy…whatever…" I shook my head and then I took the opportunity
to clap himon his shoulder that time.
"Now I imagine if any of this got out into the public eye, that you might be just
a tad embarrassed, considering your...manly man identity and all…" I
whispered to him and he just stood there, staring at the info, and the picture of
Vic I'd enclosed.
"So if you ever fuck with me, or my friends again…and that includes
Bella…you can bet your ass that the first guy I'm callin' is this guy…"
I handed him the business card of the paparazzi that had followed Bella
around via James's info and he took the card, but seemed very much like a
zombie at that point.
I couldn't hide the smirk anymore. "And don't worry, I have copies."
He eyeballed me.
"You might even wanna find another Producing job…elsewhere, but that's not
required, I can play nice…" I said, "As long as you can."
James still didn't have anything to say, he just, took the info and stumbled
backwards until he fell into a chair and I turned my attentions back to Bella,
who was reciting the last of her lines.
"There's one more thing I need you to know, Steele…" she said, and I waited
for it.
This was when she was going to tell him about her feelings as he passed out
yet again, and he wouldn't hear her…it was all part of the cat and mouse
game people loved so much in good television.
But then, suddenly, she turned and was facing me.
Mike was passed out…or…seemingly passed out on stage, and I was
confused as to why she was walking toward me, when she started talking.
To me.
"Edward?" she said and I stood up a little straighter, wondering if she'd lost
her mind.
Did she not know there were a couple hundred people watching her?
The crowd murmured but Emmett kept filming and a spot light shown down on
her.
"I'm sorry," she said.
Sorry?
I scowled and raised an eyebrow at her, but listened, nonetheless.
"I thought that every guy was gonna be another James and I didn't even really
give you a chance in my mind," she said and then even quieter than she
already was, like she was ashamed of herself, she added, "Even before your
promotion."
A lump formed in my throat out of nowhere and I felt my shoulders relax.
She'd forgiven me.
She was forgiving me.
On live public television.
Shit.
"It's easy to get caught up in this world of…smoke and mirrors and thinking
everyone's out to get you…but you…you're not…you're just…Edward."
I couldn't smile, couldn't breathe, couldn't move…all I could do was just…take
her in.
She was beautiful.
"I'm sorry I didn't trust you," she said as she was finally within reach of me and
I didn't waste a single moment in grabbing her and putting my lips onto hers.
The audience clapped and cheered and the end music played as the curtain
dropped and Bella and I just stayed like that.
I breathed her in and tangled my tongue with hers and pulled her up against
me like I was gonna lose her all over again at any minute.
Which, let's face it, was highly likely considering my idiot move to charm the
pants out of her ratio statistics.
"Let's go home," I said and she handed me something, smiling.
Her key.
"You left this."
I smiled at her.
"My place is closer, let's go," I said, and as we walked hand in hand out of
there, ignoring everyone else, I asked her, "You wanna…get something to
eat?"
She put her head into my shoulder. "Are you gonna throw food at me?"
"Absolutely."
"Then yes."
We nodded and waved to our friends and Carlisle just watched us leave.
Smiling.
After we caught a late dinner, talked about everything from her childhood with
her dad to my parents dying, to Carlisle finding me, and her first break in the
business, we left a ginormous tip and took off.
"So," she started, looking a little perplexed about the situation. "James
is...gay?"
I laughed because to be honest, I wasn't ruling it out.
"Not exactly," I told her and then repeated the story that Vic had told me and
how things had unfolded.
Then it was my turn.
"So," I started as we walked the streets of New York back to my condo.
"When you sent that text saying she's coming home…why the third person
Bella?" I laughed.
"What? I didn't send you a…." she started and then made one of those faces.
You know, the one where she realized someone did something they really
shouldn't have done and she's gonna make them pay the next time she saw
them?
Yeah.
"Dad," was all she said and we both laughed as I pulled my arm around her
shoulders and hers wrapped around my hips, her thumb hooking onto the belt
loop in my jeans.
"Well thank god someone was helpin' me out," I joked but then she got
serious on me.
"You didn't need any help, Edward, I just needed to open my eyes."
"Well I'm glad you did," I said, kissing the top of her head and when we rode
the elevator up to the condo, we couldn't keep our hands off of each other.
"I missed you," I told her as I nibbled on her neck a little, emitting goosebumps
around the areas I touched.
"I missed you, too," she replied, slipping her hands under my shirt to encircle
me with them.
When the doors opened and I unlocked the door to my place, we didn't bother
with lights, we just felt our way around for the closest surface to continue our
love fest on.
Bella's feet and mine became entangled and we fell, of course, but that didn't
stop us.
I unbuttoned and unzipped her jeans that she'd worn directly off stage and
home with me and told her, "I've been dying to ask Alice if we could borrow
some of the wardrobe…you are so fucking sexy in this outfit."
She giggled as she wiggled her way out of them and worked on my shirt,
pulling it over my head. "I'll be sure and remember that next time."
I kissed her, cradling her head in my arms and my dick was aching for some
serious up Bella lovin' when the lights flipped on suddenly and we stopped like
someone had hit the pause button on their HDTV.
I looked up to see Emmett at the fridge, with a chicken leg that was left over
from KFC hanging out of his mouth.
"Dude," I said to him as Bella silently laughed and tried to cover herself up.
He smiled and took the chicken out from between his teeth.
"I guess you two made up?" he asked while he chewed and I said again,
"DUDE."
"Sorry, I was getting some munchies for me and Rose and you guys came in
and started undressing each other so fast I didn't have time to stop chewing
and tell you I was home."
I lowered my head into Bella's neck and laughed, then looked back up at him
as he held a leg out to me. "Chicken?"
"Maybe we should move this to the bedroom," I said to Bella, who anxiously
agreed and we got up to do just that.
Emmett called after us, "Good job though, seriously," he laughed. "That was
hot."
Asshole.
"Anything that can hurt me in here, Edward?" she asked as I closed the door
behind us.
"Don't think so," I advised her. She lay back onto the bed and I just couldn't
believe how lucky I was. I also made some notes to myself about not fucking
this up and I knew I was gonna have to consult with my brain before acting
from time to time.
Like I said...futuristic opportunities.
"Let me help you with those," I told Bella as she started to removed
other...pertinent articles of clothing and she bumped her head on the
headboard of the bed when she tried to scoot up some in an attempt to help.
"Ow," she said, rubbing her head and I made yet another mental note to get
rid of the damn head board.
Then I kissed every inch of her as I ascended back up to her lips, including
the top of her head where she'd just bumped it.
Her hands were in my hair and her nails felt...really good as they scratched
lightly at my scalp.
As I entered her, intense feelings engulfed my system and I kissed her
again...and again...probably a little harder than I should have but she didn't
seem to mind, in fact, her breath hitching and body wriggling told me, I'd finally
done something right by the woman.
"This is okay?" I asked her, letting my fingers help out a little. I mean, I didn't
want to assume...anything...when it came to Bella anymore.
Seriously.
"Definitely," she told me, hitching a leg up over my hip some to give me better
access.
Nothing like a silent yet aggressive hint, right?
I slid in and out in a nice, safe pace and just looked into her eyes for a few
minutes, enjoying being inside of her and she smiled up at me.
"What?" I asked, kissing her nose.
"What are you thinking, Edward?"
If I'd allowed myself to, I would have second guessed what I was about to say,
but the new Edward was going with his gut and telling her exactly what was
up, when it was up and not hesitating to keep her informed.
Sort of.
"What would you say if I was to tell you that I loved you?" I asked her, playing
with her hair a little and she smiled.
"I love you," she answered and then I kissed just below her ear before
whispering, "I love you, too."
She hugged me tight after that and our rhythms became more urgent until we
had contemporaneous orgasms.
That's simultaneously cumming, just so ya know.
As I made love to Bella for the second time that night, after the chocolate
pudding, but before the best blow job ever...I promised her I'd do my best
tonot make idiotic mistakes when it came to our relationship, and that I would
definitely call or text her if I thought I was going to miss a date.
She insinuated that a solution to that problem would be for her to stay with me
on the weekends and that I could sleep at her place during the week but I
went a step further by asking her to move in with me on a permanent basis.
Hey now, it made sense, I mean, half the rent for both of us…sleeping with
Bella…spooning…chocolate pudding in the middle of the night?
What could possibly be construed as wrong with that situation?
She agreed without hesitation and we stayed up the rest of the night talking in
intervals that were made up of mindless shit, laughing, making out and feeling
each other up.
I wasn't stupid, knew I'd screw up again.
It was inevitable.
I was young.
There was still a whole lot left for me to learn but with any luck, I wouldn't
screw up so bad that I'd already lost the love of my life by the time I learned
them.
Some people might think that my maturity level and the fact that I tend to fly
by the seat of my pants a little too often would hurt me more than help but one
thing I also knew that they probably didn't, was something my good friend,
Ferris Bueller once said.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you
could miss it."

~ The Beginning ~

No comments:

Post a Comment